Last year I prepared a gift guide for Valentine's Day and it was one of my most read blog posts. Several items I highlighted last year are no longer available. It seemed fitting to prepare an update for 2020. Please support Dunitz & Company and my Fair Trade Federation colleagues. We all work tirelessly to support and sustain artisans in far away places. And after we work to support them, we also have some of our own bills to pay.
Check out my twelve fun and affordable heart-shaped ideas that might be perfect for your special someone.
1. Love Hearts - Global Gifts offers Kenyan handcrafted soapstone hearts which make perfect paperweights and are designed by Venture Imports. I've worked with both of these companies for so many years, I can vouch for all the good they do. Highly recommended. $7.00
Heart Shaped Spoon - Is there a special cook in your life? Why not surprise them with a fair trade heart shaped spoon from Fair Trade Decor? Crafted in Kenya of olive wood. Two would be perfect in an salad bowl! $22.00
3. Crystal Heart Earrings - These are offered by Dunitz & Company (that's me!). A vintage design for the ages, handcrafted by women in Guatemala with Czech glass beads. Small and super cute. $12.00
4. Sweetheart Necklace - Perhaps this lovely rose-gold colored necklace will dazzle your honey. You'll find this necklace available from Humankind Fair Trade and designed by Starfish Project, both Fair Trade Federation members. Survivors of human trafficking create this beautiful design. $37.00
Heart Mango Wood Pivot Box - Inspired by traditional Indian spice boxes, these hearts
are sure to please. Offered by Zee Bee Market and designed by Matr Boomie, both
Fair Trade Federation member companies. I think these are perfect for special someone who always likes the look and feel of antiques. $28.00
Note Card - Say it with the written word. These beautiful handmade in
Vietnam cards are offered by Fair Trade Winds and are designed by Quilling
Card. Again both Fair Trade Federation members. $9.95
7. You Make My Heart Flutter Card - I always suggest sending handwritten notes. They fill me with joy when I receive one. (And one like this would certainly put a smile on my face!) This fun note card is available from Global Gifts. They're made from recycled waste...in Rwanda. $6.00
Monkey with Heart in Hands - How could you pass up on this adorable little
monkey handing out a heart? This adorable gift, made in Guatemala is offered
by Mayan Hands. $10.00
9. Heart Shaped Note Pad - Got a special doodler in your life? They're sure to appreciate this heart shaped box and paper from Mr. Ellie Pooh. Yes, the famous elephant poo paper! This paper from Sri Lanka is made from recycled paper and elephant dung. $20.00
Heart Bracelets - Eternal Threads is selling these good-looking bracelets.
You can't lose. They were $25.00 and now their 50% off. And the purchase of
these helps to support orphans and other vulnerable children in Swaziland. Now
Horn Earrings - Isn't it always fun to wear a little bit of turquoise with
your horn? Your Valentine is sure to love these earrings from Wanderlust Jewelry.
They're made by artisans in Peru. $9.00
12. Paper Bead Heart Ornament - These beautiful ornaments are created in Uganda and are offered by Ornaments 4 Orphans. They're available in several colors and I can picture them hanging on ribbon in windows everywhere. Show some love with one of these. $15.00
So there you have it. Eleven great gift ideas for Valentine's Day. It amazes me that so many people think fair trade gifts
are expensive. After checking out this list, I'm sure you'll agree that not
only are these offerings from
Fair Trade Federation members fabulously adorable, they're seriously
affordable. Please check us all out. Your purchase will definitely make a difference for people and
planet. I can vouch for my fair trade colleagues. We all care deeply about the
people we work with. -ND